Hello popcorn lovers! Can you believe it’s already almost the 4th of July? What are all you doing? For me every year is different. When I was little, my family used to go to the local park and watch the fireworks with our close friends. I always loved this since they set up a carnival and rides beforehand. My dad and I used to bike down early in the day so I could play on the rides. I always remember one year he bought me a balloon and just as we left, the balloon popped because it was so hot out! I was sad so we went back and got another. We got half way home on the bike with this balloon before, POP! We ended up just going home, and my dad drove back later and got me a new balloon. I kept this one until it got small and pruney. Thanks dad 🙂
More recently I prefer to grill up some good food, make a refreshing drink, and watch the Macy’s fireworks on TV. I know that’s lame, but it’s always fun to watch! Plus, then you can pop up a huge fresh batch of popcorn and eat it right out of the bowl. And lately I’ve been dreaming up this delicious red white and blue inspired sweet treat for your 4th of July get-together. This strawberry pie popcorn is sweet and decadent without being too over the top. The best part is that it’s not too messy, so you could pack it up in tupperware with your picnic and bring it to share with whoever you watch the fireworks with. But be warned, you might want to hoard it all for yourself. It’s that good. Plus, it’s very allergy friendly – there’s no dairy, nuts, peanuts, shellfish, or gluten here! Just freeze dried strawberries, coconut butter, coconut oil, salt and sugar. Simple and delicious! What are you waiting for? Let’s get popping!
Ingredients: Serves 2 hungry popcorn lovers or a group of 3-4
- 1/4 cup Freeze dried strawberries (we bought them at Target, but Trader Joes also has a good selection)
- 1.5 tablespoons slightly melted Coconut butter
- 1.5-2 tablespoons melted Coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla sugar (if you don’t have vanilla sugar you can just use the sugar of your choice)
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup kernels
- Pop up your kernels either on the stove top or in an air popper and then lay out on parchment paper on top of a baking sheet
- Preheat your oven to about 200 degrees Fahrenheit
- Grind the freeze dried strawberries, the vanilla sugar and the salt together in the food processor for a couple of seconds or until the strawberries are a fine powder
- Mix together the coconut butter, 1.5 tablespoons of the coconut oil, and about half of the strawberry mixture in a small bowl
- Drizzle the remaining coconut oil over the popcorn and then sprinkle the remaining strawberry mixture on top of it
- Drizzle the coconut butter mixture on top of the popcorn
- Pop in the oven for about 5 minutes – you don’t want it to burn!